Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Coming Soon: Films in Production From ATL to Africa

From The Cocoa Lounge

This summer, Black Star Power is in full effect. Some of our favorite thespians are on location this month shooting films that will have to be seen to be believed:

Angela Bassett to 'Meet The Browns'

Cocoa Lounge Film: In Production: Meet The Browns
Legendary Actress, Angela Bassett has teamed up with Tyler Perry for Browns.

There's no doubt about it: Angela Bassett is black America's most beloved and highly respected actress. The black Meryl Streep; the female Denzel, Angela Bassett's talents go without saying.

We hissed when the Academy failed to recognize her for what she was: The Best Actress of 1994 for her reincarnation of Tina Turner in What's Love Got To Do With It. And it saddens us that this great actress' shortage of roles and acclaim, have more to do with Hollywood's ambivalance towards black womanhood than her lack of talent.

Cocoa Lounge Film: In Production: Meet The BrownsSo when the rumor began that Angela Bassett will star in the film-adaptation of Tyler Perry's farce Meet The Browns, we couldn't stop ourselves from cringing. Though Tyler Perry has established a brand of comedy that has captured the attention-spans of millions the world-over, we find it hard to imagine the Yale-trained actress exchanging sassy banter with the brassy Madea and her clan.

Perhaps Bassett is just what Tyler Perry needs to grow as a multi-faceted filmmaker, and the role that Bassett could transform into another memorable vehicle. Only time will tell.

Meet the Browns began production last month in Atlanta, GA. Jennifer Hudson is also rumored to be attached.

Botswana opens its doors to Jilly from Philly

Cocoa Lounge Film: In Production: The No. 1 Laides' Detectives Agency
Idris Elba, Jill Scott, and Anika Noni Rose will make history in Africa this month.

Jill Scott is a very busy lady these days. The singer-turned actress recently made Cocoa Lounge news, and is now leading the cast of a landmark film set in Africa. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, scheduled to begin filming Monday, is the first major production to shoot entirely in Botswana. And with Hollywood heavyweights The Weinstein Co. producing (with additional funding from The Republic of Botswana) and Anthony Minghella (The English Patient, The Talented Mr. Ripley) in the directing chair, it seems that Miss Scott is in very good hands. This film has the word "nomination" written all over it.

Agency, based on Alexander McCall Smith's best-selling book series, follows the exploits of Precious Ramotswe (Jill Soctt), the series' heroine and proprietor of the only female-owned detective agency in Botswana. Anika Noni Rose (Dreamgirls) will play Precious' quirky secretary Mma Makutsi, and Lucian Msamati will play Precious' suitor JLB Matekoni.

The cast also includes David Oyelowo (The Last King of Scotland), Idris Elba (28 Weeks Later), Colin Salmon (Die Another Day) and Tony Award winners Winston Ntshona and John Kani.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Idris. He should be the love interest instead of whoever the African guy is. I mean if you're goin g to do it then do it right. Hello!

SimzBrazil said...

What a great tribute to Angela Bassett you did with this post! She really is the our Queen of Hollywood and its really dissapointing that she hasnt gotten the roles to accomodate her talent.

I was a little wary of Ms. Angela being in a Tyler Perry movie, but she chooses her roles very well. I think shes going for another leading lady movie that she'll be the sole star of. I wish her well!

Bella said...

I always hear great things about Idris Elba and I heart Ms Basset but give 'the African guy' a chance to prove he can 'do it right' just like Idris did as an unconventional leading man who won fans with his charisma & talent. It wasnt so long ago beautiful & talented African Americans were also dismissed.

I can wait til this film is released & I will support it & all my sisters & brothers!

The Cocoa Lounge said...

Bella, you're right about giving Lucian Msamati a chance to prove himself, especially since the movie is being filmed on African soil. But we can't fault any Idris Elba fan for loving that man--he's definitely something special!

S.Leslie, your website is a great tribute to Angela as well. Thanks for the love.

As for the movies, I'm really interested in seeing how they turn out. But you put Angela Bassett and Idris Elba in anything and I'm likely to check it out!

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of tired of Tyler Perry. but I think Angela Bassett can help the movie. Idris was one of the best things in Daddy's Little Girls and that was almost thrown out the window with a crazy script. But I will most like check the new one out.

I am really looking forward to this Jill Scott and Idris Elba movie. I think it will be really good, Oscar type good.

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love Jill Scott and I wish her the best with the movie. Whenever she's in concert I'm always right there in the audience and I'll be out there to support her when this movie comes out.

Anonymous said...

FYI....Idris Elba is African Too (Ghanian and Siera Leonian)

Unknown said...

I LUV ANGELA BASSETS WORK, BUT, SHE HAS MADE BAD CAREER CHOICES. SHE HAS TURNED DOWN ROLES THAT COULD HAVE INCREASED HER BANKROLL AND WORLD WIDE EXPOSURE.

WHITE BOB

แม็ก said...

สล็อตออนไลน์This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post.

แม็ก said...

สล็อต 999This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you.

กี้ said...

สล็อตxoThis is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post.

แม็ก said...

สล็อตวอเลทI felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!.

แม็ก said...

สล็อตแตกง่ายYour work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you for sharing great information to us.

แม็ก said...

บา คา ร่า วอ เลทToday, I was just browsing along and came upon your blog. Just wanted to say good blog and this article helped me a lot, due to which I have found exactly I was looking.

แม็ก said...

บา คา ร่า วอ เลทThis is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great.

กี้ said...

เว็บ ตรงThanks for an interesting blog. What else may I get that sort of info written in such a perfect approach? I have an undertaking that I am just now operating on, and I have been on the lookout for such info.

แม็ก said...

บา คา ร่า วอ เลทIf more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content.

แม็ก said...

สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน true wallet ไม่มี บัญชีธนาคารThis article is an appealing wealth of informative data that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. You’ve got what it takes to get attention.

แม็ก said...

บาคาร่าวอเลทPretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!