Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Black Model Museum: The First American Covergirl

Black Model Museum: The First Black Covergirl


Forty years ago, marked the first time a black woman ever appeared on the cover of a national American women's magazine. The pioneering face on the cover of the August 1968 issue belonged to Katiti Kironde, then a college student at Memorial University of Newfoundland.

Though not a model, Katiti's cover was a financial success and would open the floodgates for many model firsts in the years to follow: Jolie Jones, Mademoiselle '69; Daphne Maxwell, Glamour, '69; Jane Hoffman, Cosmopolitan, '69; Elizabeth of Toro, Harper's Bazaar, '69; and Beverly Johnson's coveted, American Vogue cover of '74, struck the last blow to the long-standing tradition of exclusion.

Thanks to Katiti's historic cover and the efforts of women and men in front of, and behind the lens, we've never known a world where diversity was blatantly not welcomed to the publication party. And we think that's something worth celebrating.

Today we're gonna party like its 1968!

15 comments:

G said...

Hallelujah!

The Misses said...

Well shut my mouth. I always thought Beverly Johnson was the first......

Ebony Intuition said...

I seen this cover several days ago also.

Kieya said...

thats awesome! and her cover still looks recent...

Danielle said...

Well, well, well. You learn something new everyday. I had no idea.

Charece said...

Wow, everyone did think it was Beverly Johnson I know I sure did...That's great might have to blog this gorgeous women!

Felicity said...

I myself thought that it was Beverly Johnson.

Sojourner said...

Naomi Sims was the first black super model. Beverly Johnson came after her. Naomi was such a cultural phenomenon, that they put her on the cover of LIFE Magazine.

SistaSocialite said...

WOW, I convinced myself Beverly Johnson was the first... aint that something??

1968 was a beauty year!

hormakhet said...

Here's a link to a recent picture of Ms Katiti.

http://sfluxe.com/2008/03/18/katiti-kironde-at-the-legion-of-honor/

Her beauty endures at age 63! She looks better than some who are 20 years younger! As my 90 year old Granny says: Black don't crack. My beloved Granny who had the nerve to lie to a white woman in Walgreens two months ago saying she was 72 like the woman was (though the woman looked older than my granny LOL).

Anonymous said...

Hi! I really love this blog site! It inspires me so much. I was wondering if it would be possible if you all could be on "www.Widgetbox.com" so that I could share this site with my myspace friends.

Brigitte said...

Such a beautiful cover. I wonder where she is today.

www.vbarcelone.com said...

Goodness, there is a lot of useful data here!

Online pharmacy reviews said...

Awesome post, this is history, I remember my ex-girlfriend who was a black woman that had that cover framed hanging in her wall.

victoryab said...

Harper's Bazaar, '69; buy alli and Beverly Johnson's coveted, American Vogue comment maigrir vite cover of '74, struck the last blow to the Buy Acai Berry long-standing tradition of exclusion.