Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Female MC Class of '88: Who's Who?

We're bringing '88 back! Just when you thought Black History Month ended with the Civil Rights Era...

QUEENS

How many female emcees can you recognize? Cheat sheet below.

Twenty years ago, pioneering female emcees sat down for this historic photo shoot captured by legendary music photographer, Janette Beckman. Beckman recently released a book of her hip-hop photography The Breaks: Stylin’ and Profilin’ 1982–1990, which includes over 100 photos from hip-hops golden era.

Can you guess who's who?

(Answer key: Monie Love, MC Lyte, Roxanne Shante, Ms. Melodie, Sweet Tee, Yvette Money, Sparky Dee, Finese, Synquis and hip-hop predecessor Millie Jackson)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a shame I only know mc lyte.

Anonymous said...

sad that i'm 28 and only know mc lyte.

Anonymous said...

lol, and i remember the bigger one with her finger up from the SELF DESTRUCTION video back in the day. that's it, lol.

Anonymous said...

I can spot
Monie Love
Mc lyte
Roxanne Shante
and Millie Jackson.

Where's my cookie? hahaha.

Anonymous said...

I wonder where salt n pepa were?

Anonymous said...

Moni Love look like she has a twin up in there. So I see Moni and m.c. Lyte and that's it. I'm pitiful like the rest of yall.

Anonymous said...

I was wonderin whwaat Millie jackson was doing with all thosee hip hop chicks. Cuz I can reconize them lips from anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Dang! I used to love Sweet Tee and Finesse & Synquis. What a great photo.

Anonymous said...

Paces para todo con saludos(recuerdos) hermosos! http://www.spymac.com/details/?2345831

ahnka said...

I never even heard of Syquis... but I wasn't even a decade old that year. I love that Millie Jackson was there.

Mimi said...

LOVE this entry.

Unknown said...

I know MC Lyte, Monie Love, Roxanne Shante and that would be it! But in my defense the picture isn't all that clear...
Anyway nice blog you have here!

Toure Zeigler said...

Damn, you took it back with this pic. Sadly I dont think you could even scrap up 12 mainstream female mc's without scraping up some minor rappers or rappers who havent been hot since that picture came out.

Anonymous said...

i thought i saw millie jackson up in there. now THAT's random!!! HA!

J.Boriqua said...

Monie Love is NOT in this pic...nor is Finesse...the pic is Sparky D.,Sweet Tee,Yvette Money,Ms.Melodie,Millie Jackson,M.C.Peches(Not Monie Love!),the chick in the pink is Sparky D.'s Dancer as is the lady in Brown next to Roxanne Shante,M.C.Lyte is also in pic and Synquis with Finesse no where to be found.

Indian Pharmacy said...

Moni Love look like she has a twin up in there. So I see Moni and m.c. Lyte and that's it. I'm pitiful like the rest of yall.

Daphne said...

Well, I do not actually believe it is likely to have success.