Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Cocoa Lounge Remembers: Octavia E. Butler

octaviabutler

Literature has lost one of its greatest modern writers: Octavia E. Butler, a pioneer in science fiction, died recently at her home in Washington.

We just learned of her passing and like many of her fans, are stunned to say the very least.

butlerbooks

Do yourself a favor and pick up Kindred, Wild Seed or any of her other titles and get acquainted with the work of Octavia Butler.

She will be deeply missed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why didnt this make the news?

That photo of her breaks my heart.

The Cocoa Lounge said...

Octavia's death should have received more coverage. I still can't believe this one.

Nikolas Coukouma said...

Her death did make a lot of papers, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Associated Press.

nyesha said...

i heard about it, and it is very unfortunate....there will never be another.

Anonymous said...

I just heard about this. I can't believe it. She was like a hero to me. She was like one of the first and still few black female voices in Sci Fiction and I can't believe she's gone. I enjoyed her voice...we needed and still need a voice...like hers.

Anonymous said...

I was deeply saddened at her passing. She was an inspiration as a pioneer in the science fiction genre. I have read every book she has ever written and had just received her newest 'Fledging" when I heard the news. If you have'nt read her please do, you will not be disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Love you blog articles.
A passionate fan for years so I started my own blog :-)
science-fiction@theblogverse.com